Children’s Charity Hosts 'A Star is Born' Gala
On Friday, April 27, beginning at 6 p.m. with a VIP reception, Variety, The Children’s Charity hosts their signature red carpet gala A Star is Born at Emagine Royal Oak and Star Lanes. The evening features the Michigan Celebrity Hall of Fame where celebrities dedicated to making a difference in the local community will be honored for their talents and charitable contributions. The black tie optional event supports Variety’s mission to improve and enhance the lives of children in metro Detroit.
This year’s inductees include Diana Lewis, legendary WXYZ-7 Action News anchor and community leader. The late Jeff Zaslow, columnist for the Wall Street Journal and bestselling author will also be honored.
Guests will enjoy an open bar and gourmet dinner prepared by Certified Executive Chef Shawn Loving. Non-stop entertainment keeps the party going; a dueling piano face off, sing-a-long musical feature film or new first run movie in the auditoriums, dance till they drop to DJ and much more.
Ticket purchases support Variety’s programs. The purchase of:
- $150 ticket will feed a family for one month through the Variety Produce Rescue Mission Program
- $250 ticket will sponsor a special needs child in the Variety 4H Horseback Riding Program for one year
- $350 ticket purchase can sponsor a child in the Variety K.I.D.S (Kids in Distressed Situations) Program with clothing, shoes, books, school supplies, toys and other basic needs for a whole year
“Variety provides life changing support for children in need, those most vulnerable in our society,” said Paul A. Glantz, founder and chairman of Emagine Entertainment Inc. “It is our privilege to host an organization dedicated to serving such a worthwhile cause. Concurrently, the event represents a unique opportunity to honor those in our local community whose generosity and spirit of giving have touched so many lives.”
“My involvement with Variety has been truly rewarding,” said Event Co-Chair Len Dillion. “As Variety’s mission states, we work to improve and change the lives of children, but ultimately, these children are changing our lives.”
Emagine Royal Oak and Star Lanes ~ 200 North Main St. ~ Royal Oak, MI 48067
About Variety Detroit, A Children’s Charity
Variety-Detroit is a children’s charity, simply helping kids no matter the need, and serving as a trusted local source to do what’s right – changing our lives by changing theirs. Today, Variety has 58 tents around the world. Detroit’s Tent 5 was established in 1932 and help’s kids no matter what the need, keeping the dollars locally, and allocating them swiftly and directly so that 90 cents of every dollar goes to kids in need – simply changing lives. Visit www.variety-detroit.com.
Variety, The Children’s Charity Programs
The Variety Myoelectric Center
- Provides myoelectric prosthesis for children with limb deficiencies due to accident or birth defect
- Collaboration with Children’s Hospital of Michigan; most comprehensive program in country
- Has fitted hundreds of children with myoelectric prostheses
- Enables children to independently move prosthetic via electrodes
- Supports children through fittings, replacements and physical therapy till the age of 18
The Variety Cardiology Center
- Provides treatment for children with all forms of heart disease at Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Offers inpatient and outpatient care to more than 4500 children each year
- Variety has raised and contributed more than $1.75 million to provide state of the art equipment and support programs
The Variety K.I.D.S. Program (Kids in Distressed Situations)
- Provides coats, clothing, shoes, books, toys and school supplies to children in need
- Since 1996, has supplied more than 10,000 kids in metro Detroit with new merchandise
- Supports children who are ill, living in poverty or victim of natural disaster
The Variety Produce Rescue Mission Program
- Provides healthy, nutritional food to children who experience food insecurity
- Hundreds of pounds of almost perfect produce that would go wasted is rescued and distributed across 5 counties to relief agencies, soup kitchens, shelters, etc.
The Variety 4H Horseback Riding Program
- Provides therapeutic as well as recreational horseback riding for children with special needs
- Trained instructors and volunteers work with children with physical or developmental disabilities
- Excellent form of emotional therapy; helps children build self-confidence in a fun way with games, exercises, indoor/outdoor riding
- Riding takes place at the Bloomfield Open Hunt on Monday evenings from April-October
- Currently 50+ riders enrolled and continues to grow yearly
2012 Michigan Celebrity Hall of Fame Inductees
For more than three decades Diana Lewis has anchored WXYZ Action News. She is considered a respected face of local news and philanthropic efforts as well as a pioneer of woman on the Anchor Desk. Lewis is a Michigan Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame inductee and the recipient of two Emmys. Hundreds of organizations have honored Lewis with awards and recognitions for her service in the metro Detroit community.
Renowned Wall Street Journal columnist and author or co-author of bestselling books, Jeff Zaslow’s writing focuses on stories of life transitions and the human spirit. His books include: The Last Lecture, Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope, The Girls From Ames, Highest Duty, and his latest book, The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for our Daughters. Zaslow has been named twice as the best columnist in a newspaper with more than 100,000 circulation, as well as a recipient of the Distinguished Column Writing Award from the New York Newspaper Publishers Association.