Former Shrine Priest Suspended Following Allegations of Sexual Misconduct
This was the Oct. 28 press release from the Archdiocese of Detroit, regarding the suspension of the Rev. Gary Schulte, longtime priest in Metro Detroit:
Fr. Gary Schulte, 66, pastor of St. Sylvester Parish in Warren, Michigan, has been placed on an administrative leave of absence by the Archdiocese of Detroit and is currently restricted from any public ministry.
In September an allegation of sexual misconduct with a person under the age of 18 involving Fr. Schulte dating back to the early years of his ministry in the Detroit archdiocese was received by the Victim Assistance Coordinator. Subsequently, the complaint was reported to civil authorities and considered by the chair of Archdiocesan Review Board and the archbishop's lead advisors on these matters.
An initial investigation found the complaint to be of sufficient substance to require restrictions on Fr. Schulte's service as a priest, i.e., not allowed to publicly celebrate the Mass or sacraments, and not allowed to present himself publicly as a priest.
Fr. Thomas Sutherland, a senior (retired) priest, will serve as temporary administrator of St. Sylvester Parish.
Digital media materials, along with information on archdiocesan policies and procedures regarding these matters, are available at www.aodonline.org/SafeEnvironments.
To inform the archdiocese of complaints involving sexual abuse of minors by clergy or church personnel and/or to speak to the Victim Assistance Coordinator, contact: 866-343-8055.
- Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit
- St. John Provincial Seminary, Plymouth
- University of Detroit, Detroit
- Bachelor of Arts, Master of Divinity
- 1972 Ordained a priest of the Detroit archdiocese
- 1972 Associate pastor, Guardian Angels Parish, Clawson
- 1973 Associate pastor, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Parish, Beverly Hills
- 1975 Chaplain, Macomb County Community College, Warren
- 1980 Associate pastor, National Shrine of the Little Flower Parish, Royal Oak
- 1983 Pastor, St. Vincent Ferrer Parish, Madison Heights
- 1994 Pastor, St. Sylvester Parish, Warren
Source: Archdiocese of Detroit