5 Things to Know this Week: DDA Meets, Investiture, Pirates and More
There's a lot going on in Royal Oak this week. What do you have planned?
There's always a lot going on in Royal Oak. Here are some highlights this week:
- Youth Pirate program on Tuesday: Elementary and preschool students are invited to be captains of their own ships at the library at 7:00 pm. Kids will listen to pirate lore and decode clues for a map to find their treasure. Registration is limited to 30. Visit ropl.org or call the Youth Reference Desk at 248-246-3725 to sign-up for this free program.
- The Downtown Development Authority meets Wednesday: The DDA meeting starts at 4 p.m. at City Hall. Click here for the agenda.
- Investiture on Thursday: Judge Derek Meinecke, of the 44th District Court, will be sworn in by District Court Judge Daniel Sawicki at Royal Oak Middle School. The public is invited. Doors open at 5 p.m. The investiture and swearing in ceremony will be at 5:30 p.m. A reception follows.
- "Puttin' on the Glitz" is Saturday: The Royal Oak Farmers Market will host this one-day event featuring vintage jewelry, clothing, furs and accessories from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Admission is free.
- Reefermen perform on Saturday: Take a break and enjoy live music at the Royal Oak Public Library. The Reefermen Acoustic Trio, featuring James Wailin and Bobby East, perform at 3 p.m. Traditional and contemporary acoustic blues music, including Chicago, Texas, New Orleans and Detroit styles will be performed and discussed.