Want to toast the new year at a local hot spot? Check out the Royal Oak Music Theater for its Countdown: NYE 2011 starting at 9 p.m. Saturday. VIP tickets ($50) will get you five drinks, hors d'oeuvres and balcony access. Buy tickets for the 21 and older party here.
Or check out some other popular night spots for great New Year's Eve celebrating. Some suggestions:
- Rock on Third: Call ahead and reserve a spot at this local gem. The party runs 8 p.m.-1 a.m. A $15 ticket will get you hot and cool appetizers, a champagne toast and party favors.
- Cantina Diablo's: NYE 2012 event will feature a DJ and dancing at 10 p.m., special menu including prime rib dinner for two, complimentary champagne toast and balloon drop at midnight. RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Inn Place: The pub will be rocking in the New Year with a Karaoke New Year's Eve party. Karaoke starts at 9 p.m. with no cover charge. Shot and drink specials will be offered with a toast at midnight.
- Sangria and Salsa Detroit present the New Year's Eve Explosion with two levels of dancing, three DJs and more. Dance in the Sky Club as DJs Paul Martindale and Chico spin the hottest tropical and top 40 mixes until 4 a.m. Special food menu and party favors will be available and enjoy a continental breatkfast at 3 a.m.
- Mr. B's Pub will have DJ and dancing starting at 9:30 p.m. and there is no cover charge, but get in early. Drink specials include beer of the month Samuel Adams Winter Lager ($4.50) and late night happy hour from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Enjoy $4.50 call drinks, $3.50 drafts and $2.50 bottles.
- Fifth Avenue: Drink specials include $2 Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort and all Finlandia Flavors, as well as $2 Miller Lite and Bud Light Drafts.
- 526 Main: Check out piano players Julian Lambert, Kenn Young, Jimmy Voytko and Frank Turner at the piano bar, special guest DJ at Tequila Blue starting at 9 p.m. Free food at midnight, party favors and a champagne toast. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 at the door: Two floors, one price. Open until 4 a.m. Visitwww.526main.com or call (248) 591-9000 for more information.
- Ye Old Saloon: Get there early and enjoy 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday specials: $7 PBR pitchers and $1.50 PBR drafts.
- BlackFinn Restaurant & Saloon: The downtown hot spot is throwing a Roaring Twenties party to ring in the New Year. Tickets start at $25 and that includes party favors, complimentary champagne toast at midnight and passed complimentary hor d'oeuvres served throughout the night. Tickets guarantee admission before 10:30 p.m., after that will be first come first served. Purchase tickets online or contact Maria Finateri at 248-582-9460.
- Andiamo: Special New Year's Eve menu, complimentary champagne toast and party favors and live entertainment by Brett Lucas 10 p.m.-1 a.m.
Call 313-582-9300 for reservations.
Designate a driver
It's OK to have fun and let loose, but it's always good to plan ahead for a designated driver. One way to do that is to call in a professional.
James Beach, owner of Bigg Daddy's Taxi Service and Transportation in Royal Oak advises partygoers to make a reservation.
"It's a lot cheaper that way," he said, explaining that people who think ahead will get a flat rate, whereas those who phone in a taxi will pay a $2 fee for pickup and then $2.75 a mile.
"For example," he said, "a ride from Royal Oak to Detroit will cost about $40 with a flat rate, instead of $50 to $55 on the meter."
Call Big Daddy's to make a reservation at 248-408-8586 or 248-577-8897, ask your server to call you a taxi or designate a driver to ensure you get home safely.
Correction: Information about a designated driver company was removed from this article because it could not be verified the company is still in operation.