The Royal Oak Planning Commission will consider special redevelopment of the former Fresard auto dealership at 400 N. Main St. into a potential eight-story hotel complex at its meeting Tuesday.
Krieger Klatt Architects, of Royal Oak, will present plans for a 114-room hotel, an 8-story apartment building, a pair of office buildings and a 4-level off-street parking deck to the planning commission. The petitioner, 400 Main, LLC, plans to demolish all existing buildings on the site.
Hilton Garden Inn 'likes the site'
The Hilton Garden Inn is involved with the project, but would like to see approval from the city before fully committing, according to architect Jason Krieger.
"They like the site and are all for it," Krieger said.
Parking consultant Rich & Associates has been retained to provide expertise for the site parking layout, parking deck and site flow.
"Based on Rich & Associates' calculations, it is our opinion that the project is self-parked and we'll go over that with the planning commission on Tuesday," Krieger said. "We are not trying to get away with anything. We even added a level to the parking deck."
Krieger said he has been working with the planning department for months working out any kinks in the plans.
"The developer wants this to go as smooth as possible," he said.
The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall.
Details of the development
- 8-story hotel: A new hotel building with 12,796-square feet of ground floor area would have 114 rooms, a restaurant, lounge, meeting rooms and a fitness center for guests. The hotel would be placed near the center of the site with Main Street frontage.
- 5-story mixed-use building: A new building with 8,803 square-feet of ground floor area is proposed for the southwest corner of the site adjacent to the motel. The building would have a first floor restaurant and office space on the upper four levels.
- 3-story mixed-use building: A new building with 5,000 square-feet of ground floor area is proposed for the northwest corner of the site. The building would have retail sales on first floor and office space on the upper two levels.
- 8-story apartment building: A new apartment building with 12,220 square-feet of ground floor area is proposed for the southeast corner of the site. The building would have 82 units with a mix of one-bedroom, two-bedroom and studio units.
- 4-level parking deck: A parking deck is proposed for the northeast corner of the site with 431 spaces.
Also on the agenda
The commission will also review applications from:
- Tamás A. E. von Staden — site plan to renovate existing building for retail sales, professional office and residential dwelling unit at 500 S. Washington Ave.
- Main & Fifth Properties, LLC — site plan to permit conversion of retail space into restaurant at 501-503 S. Main St.
- Pulse Fitness — public hearing for special land use and site plan to convert office space into fitness center at 612 N. Main St.
- B & SB Building, LLC — request to expand nonconforming freestanding sign and install new wall sign for automobile filling station at 31786 Woodward Ave.