Happy One-Year Anniversary, Royal Oak Patch!
Editor Judy Davids looks back at bringing news to Royal Oak through video and photographs.
One mission. One year.
When Royal Oak Patch launched Nov. 15, 2010, there was one goal in mind: To make a difference in the community.
As a 25-year resident of Royal Oak, I look forward to getting out every day (on my bike when the weather is nice) and covering the people and stories that matter to our community. As I always tell my friends, "I have the best job in the world because every day I get to write about the most exciting thing that happened in Royal Oak."
And we all know there is plenty of excitement around here. It never ends.
We've covered the Woodward Dream Cruise, Arts, Beats & Eats, high school graduations, class reunions and the recent City Commission elections. The Detroit Zoo, Beaumont Hospital, Gilda's Club and our bustling dowtown are some of my favorite places to bring my camera.
I was lucky enough to capture when Royal Oak High School fans flooded the field after their football team won for the first time in three years. And I was at Michigan International Speedway a couple of weeks ago to see Ravens freshman Ben Hill run 16:00 flat to capture an all-state medal in the state cross country meet.
Of course, what kind of Royal Oak editor would I be if I didn't write a few stories about oak trees?
Here are just some of the stories, in no particular order, that I am proud to have covered.
- ROHS Student Creates Calendar to Benefit Autism Organizations
- Breast Cancer Survivor Finds Happiness Modeling Bras
- Greatest Person: Steve Chisnell Empowers Students
- Noir Leather Owner Keith Howarth Earns Respect for Tenacity
- Hometown Hero: Sweet Volunteer is 'Asset to Beaumont'
- Royal Oak Hardware Store Owner Recalls Selling Kevorkian Supplies for Suicide Machine
- VIDEO: Beaumont Hospital Welcomes the Purr-fect Visitor
- Video: Google Street Trike Visits the Detroit Zoo
- UPDATE: Storm Hammers Fest; Drenched Fans Stick Around for Headliner Bret Michaels
- Ravens Cross Country Team Headed to State Finals
- Students Flood Field after Royal Oak Ravens Break Football Losing Streak
- VIDEO: Tree Takes out Roof of Royal Oak House
- Farmers Market Find: A Royal Tree for the Market Queen
Do you have a favorite Patch story or moment? Is there something we did that you really liked – or even disliked? Do you have an idea for a story?
As always, you can email me at email@example.com, call 248-231-4667 or comment below.
Thank you Royal Oak Patch readers. Stay with us. With your help, we want to continue providing valuable and relevant information to the community.
All my best,
Judy Davids, Royal Oak Patch Editor