Wells Fargo advisor Allen Olender and his colleagues usually spend most of their time planning their clients’ financial futures at Wells Fargo Advisors offices across metro Detroit.
This month, they are taking time to give back to the troops stationed overseas.
But they can't do it alone, and they're asking for your help.
“This is an amazing opportunity to say thank you to our service members," Olender said. "We have it so easy here, and we often take it for granted.”
Olender is inviting anybody who wants to sign a card for the troops to visit certain Emagine theaters and Wells Fargo Advisor offices Oct. 18 as part of the "1,000 cards for 1,000 troops" event.
Olender will collect and distribute the signed cards in time for Christmas or Hanukah arrival to U.S. troops serving in United States Africa Command (AFRICOM).
"We send out holiday-specific cards for the troops every year," Olender said, adding that this year is the first time they've expanded the program with "aggressive effort."
The cards will be available for all to sign at Emagine Theatre locations in Royal Oak, Novi and Woodhaven from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and at Wells Fargo Advisors offices in Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Clinton Township, Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe Woods, Northville and Troy from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Olender said he was inspired to start giving back to the troops after stopping to admire a Korean War monument while on vacation in Traverse City.
"On the headstone, it says, 'Freedom is not free,' and every time I see those service members out defending us, I think, they're kids. Could be my kids. They have parents just like me that are worried about them. The least we can do is say thank you and we're thinking of you and we're proud."
Olender also thanks his Wells Fargo Advisors colleagues for their effort, adding that Wells Fargo itself has been instrumental in keeping the program going.
"Giving back is a big part of Wells Fargo culture," he said. "It's the right thing to do."
Individuals or organizations interested in supporting the effort may contact Allen Olender at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-737-8459.
Where to sign a card
- Emagine Royal Oak (200 N. Main St.), 6-9 p.m.
- Emagine Novi (4425 West 12 Mile Rd.), 6-9 p.m.
- (22260 Haggerty Road Corporate Center II, Suite 230, 248-380-0331), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Emagine Woodhaven (21720 Allen Road), 6-9 p.m.
- Wells Fargo Advisors, Ann Arbor (2723 South State Street, Suite 320, 734-668-4300), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- (255 E. Brown St., Suite 400, 248-433-8527), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Wells Fargo Advisors, Clinton Township (43630 Hayes Road, Suite 200, 313-642-6112), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- (19770 Mack Ave., 313-642-6112), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- (31440 Northwestern Highway, 248-737-8868), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- (2401 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 600, 248-649-9944), 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.