St. Mary Catholic School in downtown Royal Oak took advantage of great fall weather to take a docent-led walking tour of the Detroit Institute of Arts’ (DIA) Inside|Out program on Friday.
Now in its final days, more than 50 students studied the high-quality reproductions of masterpieces from the DIA’s collection in a tour that took just under one hour.
Royal Oak is one of 13 Michigan communities selected to host the Inside|Out program. The six high-quality reproductions of art pieces from the DIA’s collection will be de-installed beginning Monday.
"Inside|Out has been fabulous," said Anne Kuffler, owner of Ariana Gallery. "It's made a lot of young kids, and adults, too, take notice of art. I hope the program comes back to Royal Oak again."
Finding the masterpieces
Royal Oak's art pieces include:
- Cotopaxi by Frederic Edwin Church, on Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle
- Warrior with Two Pages by Peter Paul Rubens on Pronto
- Selene and Endymion by Nicolas Poussin on Noir Leather
- Eleonora of Toledo and her Son by Agnolo Bronzino on Ariana Gallery
- The Recitation by Thomas Wilmer Dewing outside the Royal Oak Public Library
- Staunch Friends by William Federick Yeames on Qdoba Mexican Grille