It doesn't matter whether your Movember mustache grew in full or scraggly, the stylists at 6 Salon will shave it on Dec. 1 to raise money for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
All November long, so-called Mo Bros have been growing their moustaches to raise awareness and funds for men's health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer initiatives. The worldwide Movember movement ends Friday.
On Saturday, for a suggested donation of $5 or more, stylists from 6 Salon will provide professional shave services to walk-in Movember participants. For every customer, the salon will match a $5 donation, with all proceeds benefitting the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
About Mo Bros
"Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November," the Movember Foundation's website says. "Through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health."
The money raised during Movember in the United States will be used to support prostate and testicular cancer initiatives, the website says. The movement that began in 2003 in Australia raised $299 million through 2011, the site adds.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has offered the following suggestions for how men can take control of their health.
- Get checked for prostate cancer. Early detection is key.
- Get informed. Men should have an annual check-up and screenings at major age milestones.
- Know your numbers including blood pressure, cholesterol and body mass index.
- Deal with depression, including asking for help, talking about issues and dealing with stress.
If you go
- What: Great Movember Shave-Off
- When: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m Saturday
- Where: 6 Salon, 306 W. Sixth St.
Are you participating in Movember? Do you like your Mo Bro 'stache or will you be happy to see it go?