Bastone Brewery, 419 S. Main St., 248-544-6250
is that comfortable pub spot sandwiched between a wine bar and Cuban eatery at the corner of Fifth and Main streets in downtown Royal Oak.
Its roots are in Belgium, so that’s where the menu starts. Belgian-style favorites include seafood waterzooi, steamed mussels, a Belgian waffle topped with chicken, vegetables and a sour cream and white wine sauce, and pomme frites served in a paper-lined mug. It moves on to fresh soups, interesting salads and a good variety of entrees, sandwiches and thin crust pizzas.
Through July 22, Bastone is putting the spotlight on a lineup of gourmet burgers and beers selected to pair with them. Bastone says its beers are hand-crafted on site with the finest malt, fresh hops and unique Belgian-style yeast. Selections range from lighter choices such as Blonde and Pilsner to darker, thicker Dubbel.
Each Burgers & Beer meal is served with pomme frites or sweet potato fries and your choice of a pint:
- The Great Plains: Ground American Bison meat with Wisconsin cheddar, coarse grain mustard aioli and wild mushrooms on an onion poppy seed bun for $13.95. Bastone suggests trying it with a Royal IPA.
- Bavarian: An 8 oz. certified Angus beef burger with shaved ham, Swiss cheese and olive aioli on a grilled pretzel roll for $12.95. The Main Street Pilsner is suggested.
- Brewmaster: A 10 oz. Kobe burger with Jack Daniels Honey BBQ sauce, Maytag bleu cheese and applewood smoked bacon topped with a hand-battered onion ring on a Kaiser bun for $15.95. Try it with a Dubbel Vision.
- Falafel Burger: Chickpeas and spices, topped with marinated tomatoes, shredded carrots and avocado on a wholegrain bun for $10.95. Monumental Blonde is the suggested beer to accompany the “burger.”
- Tokyo Tuna: Chopped Ahi tuna with a duo of wasabi and red chili seaweed, wasabi aioli, lettuce and tomato on a poppy seed bun for $ 13.95. Try it with a Witface.
The Burgers & Brew menu is available Monday through Thursday, ending July 22.
Recommended dishes: Tokyo Tuna and Brewmaster burgers, pommes frites, Nicoise salad, Leuven waffle
Prices: $5.95-$10.95 for hors d'oeuvres, $.95-$12.50 for soups to salads, $13.95-$19.95 for entrees
Credit cards: All major
Hours: Monday-Thursday 11 a.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Saturday 11 a.m.-2 a.m., Sunday noon-10 p.m.
Update: Bastone extended its Burgers & Beer menu offerings through July 22.