Metro Detroit motorists are seeing a slight increase in the price of gas this week, so here are a few tips to help make the most of your money after you fuel up.
Gasbuddy.com, a price forecasting agency and data provider, offers some advice on how drivers can save on their fuel costs in its post "GasBuddy.com Top Ten Fuel Saving Tips," including the following:
- Avoid high speeds.
- Don't accelerate or brake hard.
- Keep tires properly inflated.
- Use air conditioning sparingly (not a problem during winter in Michigan!).
- Keep windows closed (ditto!).
- Service vehicle regularly.
- Use cruise control.
- Avoid heavy loads.
- Avoid long idles.
- Buy a fuel-efficient vehicle.
According to the AAA, the average price for a gallon of regular gas in Metro Detroit was $3.41 on Monday morning, up from $3.38 a week ago and $3.13 one year ago.
Here are some of Monday's prices for a gallon of regular gas at a few nearby stations, according to the AAA Fuel Price Finder:
- Clark (1880 Crooks): $3.26
- Speedway (1720 Rochester Road): $3.26
- (1708 Crooks): $3.26
- (1620 E. 12 Mile Road) $3.26
- (3310 N. Main) $3.26
For more information on gas prices and traffic in the Royal Oak area, visit our Traffic & Gas tab.
Where have you seen the cheapest gas around town? Leave a comment!