This story was written and reported by Timothy Rath.
Trying to figure out the meaning of custom license plates is always fun, moreso at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Here are five of our favorites:
1. "IDRIVIT" - "Nobody believes you can drive a car this nice," said Larry Doerr, and he should know better than anyone. Together with his wife Jeanne, the two made their trip to Royal Oak for the Woodward Dream Cruise by way of Columbus, Oh., from their hometown of South Sioux City, Neb., in a gorgeous 1967 Plymouth Satellite. The two have racked up 6,800 miles since it was finished this past May, he said.
2. "PLUM 01" - John Dorset of Brighton has had a lot of cars he has liked—many of them in his favorite color, which is plum. However, he'd never had a car that he liked as much as his 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible. You can guess what color he wanted it in.
3. "SUSIE69" - Susie Klein of White Lake just loves classic cars and the 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 is special enough in her heart to have her own name on the license plate.
4. "POYSNUS" - Tom Whedon's favorite car is his 1934 Dodge Cabriolet Viper, which is a testament to his overall appreciation for the Dodge brand. "Dodge boys just think outside of the box," said the Orion Township native, who spent 11 1/2 years building his Viper custom from the ground up.
The license plate is a play off the fact that vipers are part of the family of venomous snakes.
5. "426WEDGE" - Chuck Dalli made the trip to Royal Oak from Toronto in order to show off his 1965 Plymouth Belvedere with a special "426 max wedge" engine.