It is unclear what caused the explosion that leveled a house in Royal Oak Wednesday evening, but among the scenarios investigators will likely pursue is if it was gas related.
A 3-man crew had been working on replacing gas mains in the neighborhood where the explosion occured.
"We have to just basically sift through evidence. We have to try to recover the gas meter if its not to heavily damaged and then test the pipe leading to the home," Consumers Energy Spokeswoman Debra Dodd told Fox2-TV. "(There are) a lot of different steps, and it could take weeks or months to determine what actually happened."
The energy company's website has always stressed the importance of being aware if there is a gas leak in your home.
"Knowing what a natural gas emergency is and how to react will help keep you and your family safe," according to Consumers Energy.
In the event of gas leak, Consumers Energy wants you to remember the three Rs—recognize, react and report.
If you smell a "rotten egg" odor, hear a blowing or hissing sound or notice dead or discolored vegetation, you could be in danger and it's time to react, which means evacuating the area in danger immediately.
"Do not use any electrical device, such as light switches, telephones or appliances such as garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas," warns the natural gas and electricity provider.
Once you are in an area that is away from danger, report the leak to Consumers Energy toll-free at 800-477-5050. Someone is ready to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
A list of other signs of a gas leak and additional safety tips can be found www.consumersenergy.com.