Thefts dominated reports to the Royal Oak Police Department for this past week.
Man arrested for possessing stolen items from multiple cars
Hudson and Mohawk, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers were checking the area for suspicious activity when they discovered a vehicle that had been broken into. The officers began to search the area for a suspect. A few blocks away, the officers located a male on a bicycle. The suspect attempted to hide when he saw the officers but he was quickly detained. The officers determined he was in possession of several stolen items and had also attempted to hide other property before being detained. The officers were able to link the stolen property to four separate larcenies from automobiles in the area. (See 'Items taken from unlocked cars' below.) The suspect was placed under arrest for possession of stolen pro perty, possession of burglary tools and possession of stolen transaction devices.
Items taken from unlocked vehicles
- 1000 block of Mohawk, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers located a black journal lying in the street. Officers traced the owner of the journal to an address on Mohawk and discovered someone had stolen it from his unlocked vehicle.
- 1200 block of E. Hudson, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers located a wallet lying in the street. Officers traced the owner of the wallet to an address on E. Hudson and discovered someone had stolen it from his unlocked vehicle.
- 1000 block of Etowah, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers located a portable GPS unit lying in the street. Officers traced the owner of the GPS unit to an address on Etowah and discovered someone had stolen it from his unlocked vehicle.
- 1300 block of McLean, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers located an iPod charging cord, vehicle paperwork and CD’s lying in the street. Officers traced the owner of the property to an address on McLean and discovered someone had stolen it from her unlocked vehicle.
- 1600 block of Roseland, Nov. 25: Someone attempted to gain entry to a home through two windows. The person was unable to open the windows due to installed safety latches.
- 1000 block of Marywood, Nov. 23: Someone broke a window on the side entry door, entered the home and stole a television and jewelry.
Breaking and entering
- AT&T Mobile, 30254 Woodward Avenue, Nov. 25: Royal Oak officers responded to a commercial breaking and entering alarm. Upon arrival they discovered someone had thrown a brick at the window, shattering the first pane of glass but not the second. Entry was not gained into the business.
- 2700 block of Bamlet, Nov. 28: A man reported someone stole his black 2007 Audi A6.
Stolen purses, iPhone, UPS packages
- Royal Oak Middle School, 709 N. Washington, Nov. 23: A woman reported someone stole her French horn.
- Woody’s Diner, 208 W. Fifth, Nov. 24: A woman reported someone stole her iPhone.
- Luna Lounge, 1815 N. Main, Nov. 24: A woman reported someone stole her purse.
- Emagine Theatre, 200 N. Main, Nov. 23: A woman reported someone stole her purse.
- Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W. Fourth, Nov. 27: A woman reported someone stole her iPhone.
- Royal Oak Manor, 606 Williams, Nov. 27: A man reported a caregiver stole his prescription medication.
- 3000 block of Columbus, Nov. 28: A woman reported someone stole a UPS package from her front porch.
GPS unit, handgun, iPod taken from locked vehicles
- University and Main, Nov. 24: A man reported someone smashed the driver side window of hisChrysler Town and Country and stole the in-dash GPS unit.
- Emagine Theatre, 200 N. Main, Nov. 23: A man reported he valet parked his vehicle and later in the evening noticed an unknown person had stolen his 45 caliber Kiember Ultra Carry II handgun stolen from the center console.
- 600 block of Maxwell, Nov. 28: A man reported someone used a large rock to break the passenger side window of his vehicle and stole his iPod.
- 900 block of Woodcrest, Nov. 28: A man reported someone used a large rock to break the passenger side window of his vehicle and stole a leather backpack.
Malicious damage to property
- 3000 block of W. 13 Mile Road, Nov. 23: A man reported someone used a brick to smash the sliding glass door to the apartment. No entry was gained.
- Barnes & Noble, 500 S. Main, Nov. 23: A man reported someone smashed a window located on the second floor. The window appears to have been smashed from the outside.
- Citizens Bank, 800 S. Main, Nov. 26: Royal Oak officers responded to investigate someone attempting to pass a fraudulent check. Upon arrival the officers observed the suspects leaving the area in a vehicle. The officers were able to stop the vehicle and after further investigation, arrested all three passengers. The driver was arrested for driving while license suspended and misdemeanor warrant, a passenger was arrested for uttering and publishing and the other passenger was arrested for possession of counterfeit checks.
- Meijer, 5150 Coolidge, Nov. 27: Royal Oak officers responded to investigate a retail fraud. The man had fled from the store after stealing electronic equipment. A Royal Oak officer arrived to the area and located the person several blocks away. When the officer approached the man he attempted to run away. The officer was able to take the suspect into custody after a brief struggle. The suspect was charged with retail fraud, obstructing a police officer, misdemeanor warrant and possession of narcotics.
- 700 block of Fairway, Nov. 27: Royal Oak officers responded to the area after a man reported hearing gunshots. The officers began checking the area and heard what did sound like a small caliber firearm being fired. As the officers approached a backyard, they observed the muzzle of a rifle protruding through the rear window. The investigation revealed the suspect was firing a pellet gun at targets in his backyard. The suspect was issued a violation for the discharge of a pellet gun within city limits.
If you have any questions about this report, email Judy.Davids@Patch.com