Residents assault officers over pitbulls
1400 block of Owana, July 8: The Royal Oak Police Department responded to a residence after receiving several complaints regarding loud and mistreated pit bulls. The animal control officer determined the four dogs needed to be removed from the home. The three residents of the house objected and began assaulting and interfering with the officers. Four pit bulls were removed from the home and three suspects were arrested. Two suspects were charged with assault and battery on a police officer and the third was arrested for having a misdemeanor warrant.
Traffic violator flees from police
Fourth Street and Center Street, July 9: Officers stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. The driver was in the process of being placed under arrest when he broke free and began to flee on foot. The officers gave chase and eventually apprehended the suspect inside a business in the downtown area. The driver was charged with resisting an officer, possession with intent to deliver narcotics, driving while license suspended and felony warrant.
Rabid skunk put down
900 block of Woodlawn, July 10: Royal Oak officers were dispatched regarding a rabid skunk. The skunk was euthanized without incident.
- 200 block of Midland, July 8: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect entered his unlocked shed in the backyard and stole a Gary Fisher boy’s mountain bike and a MT200 boy’s mountain bike
- Main Parking Structure, 111 N. Main, July 8: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect stole her unlocked Trek Cruiser from the bike rack.
- William Beaumont Hospital, 3601 West 13 Mile Road, July 8: The complainant reported that her white Trek Skye mountain bike was stole from a bike rack. Security video showed a tall black male suspect with a backpack, cutting the lock off the bike.
- Kroger, 30991 Woodward Avenue, July 8: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect stole his black Giant hybrid bicycle
- Main Art Theatre, 118 N. Main, July 9: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect stole her locked blue and purple Schwinn bike.
- LA Fitness, 25352 Woodward, July 11: The complainant reported that he parked and locked his bicycle in the bike rack and an unknown suspect cut the lock and stole his bicycle.
- Pier One, 31800 Woodward, July 12: The complainant reported that she parked and locked her bicycle behind the store and someone cut the lock and stole her bicycle.
- 1500 block of Helene, July 12: The complainant reported her unocked bike was stolen from her backyard.
- Speedway Gas Station, 1620 E. 12 Mile, July 12: Royal Oak officers responded when a witness reported someone in the gas station after hours. Soon after, the police department received an alarm call about the business. Officers found the side door to the gas station was smashed and someone had attempted to pry open the cash registers. The suspect was unable to get into the cash register and fled the scene in a white SUV before police arrived. Surveillance video from the gas station showed the suspect to be a male wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, yellow shorts, a baseball cap and tennis shoes.
- Premiere Tech Exchange, 32106 Woodward, July 10: The complainant reported an unknown suspect pried open the front door of the business and stole an undisclosed amount of cash.
- National Tile Co., 4906 Delemere, July 11: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect attempted to pry open the rear door of the business in an attempt to gain entry. The suspect caused damage to the door.
Breaking and entering
2900 block of North Blair, July 7: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect broke the knob off of his garage door and stole his air compressor, a weed trimmer and a leaf blower.
- 100 block of South West, July 8: The complainant came home to find that someone had entered her home through an unlocked kitchen window. Nothing appeared to be missing.
- 400 block of South West, July 9: Someone entered the unlocked home and stole two laptops and a video game console.
- 1300 block of Forestdale, July 12: The complainant reported that someone entered her home through an unlocked door and stole her laptop and jewelry.
Thefts from vehicles
The city of Royal Oak has been experiencing many thefts from vehicles recently. Specifically, many owners of Chrysler vehicles have had their windows smashed and in-dash GPS units stolen. The Police Department encourages owners of Chrysler vehicles to park their cars in a garage or well-lit area. Residents are encouraged to report any suspicious activity they observe on their street. This will assist the police with tracking the crime and establishing a trend.
- 700 block of South Main, July 8: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect stole all four center caps to the rims of his 2007 Cadillac.
- 200 block of Aqua Court, July 11: The complainant reported her purse stolen from her unlocked vehicle.
- 4400 block of Coolidge, July 14: The complainant reported that an unknown suspect pried open the driver’s side door to her vehicle. Nothing was stolen from the vehicle but there was considerable damage to the door.
Catalytic converters stolen
Residents in the 2500 block and 1800 block of Rochester Road reported the catalytic converters from their 2002 and 2004 Chevrolet Cavaliers stolen on July 8.
Flag stolen on 4th of July
300 block of Baldwin, July 4: The complainant reported that two unknown suspects stole his flag and flag pole from his front porch.
Graffiti sprayed on business
3415 Rochester Rd., July 11: Graffiti was spray painted graffiti on the front of the building.
If you have any information about any of these incidents you can call Royal Oak police at (248) 246-3500. For questions about this blotter, email Royal Oak Editor Judy Davids