.

Two in Custody, Police Seeking Third Suspect in Assault at School

Three men rushed into a classroom and assaulted a teenager, reportedly over the theft of a cell phone.

Ferndale police are asking the public's help in locating Jashiem Maynard Ross, 18, of Detroit, who is suspected in an April 15 assault on a student at Taft Digital Learning Center. (Photo courtesy of Ferndale police)
Ferndale police are asking the public's help in locating Jashiem Maynard Ross, 18, of Detroit, who is suspected in an April 15 assault on a student at Taft Digital Learning Center. (Photo courtesy of Ferndale police)

Ferndale Police have two men in custody and are seeking a third in the assault of a 16 year old student in class at Taft Digital Learning Center last week.

A third suspect – Jashiem Maynard Ross, 18, of Detroit –  is still at large and police are asking that anybody with information as to his whereabouts phone the police department at (248) 541-3650). People with information can anonymously call CRIMESTOPPERS (1-800-SPEAKUP) for a reward.

Ross is described as a 6-foot, 2-inch black male weighing 165 pounds. He lives in a residence on Prairie in Detroit, police said.

The three suspects entered a classroom while school was in session at 1:45 p.m. on Tuesday, April 15, despite warnings by an employee to keep out. They approached a 16-year-old student and demanded he give them his cell phone. The three students rendered the youngest student unconscious, took the cell phone, ran out of the building and were chased by the site supervisor. The injured student was transported to Beaumont Hospital by ambulance.

Ferndale police tracked two of the suspects down and arrested them in a liquor store near 6 Mile/Livernois in Detroit.

It initially appeared that this attack was a robbery, but investigation shows that the assailants were retrieving a phone that was stolen from one of them about a week earlier. They believed the 16-year-old that they attacked was the thief, Ferndale Detective Lt. William Wilson said.

The police department and school district are still investigating to determine how the 16 year old got the phone and what type of criminal and/or disciplinary action he may face.

“Regardless of the fact that the three who assaulted the young man may have been trying to recover a stolen phone, their actions were not justified,” Wilson siad.

The two men charged so far are Tre Cortez Barber, 20, and Tyler Mason Barber, 19, both of Detroit. They were arraigned on charges of assault with intent to do great bodily harm and are being held on $50,000 cash/surety bond. If convicted, they face a penalty of up to 10 years in prison.


Debbie Gerard April 22, 2014 at 07:02 AM
There have been so many police situations at this school, is it really worth it for the taxpayers to continue funding it? How many actually graduate from this school? It seems like a dangerous place for the staff to be working. I thought when it became a digital learning center, this would improve things there.
Mr. Michael April 22, 2014 at 08:52 AM
That school is, has been and will continue to be THUG CENTRAL. Shut it down!
MontiLee Stormer April 26, 2014 at 06:46 AM
You'd be punishing the students that are there to learn by shutting it town because the school board doesn't know how to work with police in minimizing risk.
Debbie Johnson Gerard May 02, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Punishing them? Or saving them from being attacked there?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »