To break the silence, Royal Oak SAFE (Suicide Awareness is For Everyone), will present an "Evening of Empowerment," on Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 6-8:30 p.m. at Royal Oak Middle School, 709 N. Washington Ave.
Featured speakers include Jeff Edwards, president of the Michigan Chapter of American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, who lost his 12-year old son, Chase, to suicide in 2003; 15-year old Emily Harris, who survived her brother's suicide and is eager to share her journey; Dr. William S. Miles, Director of Psychiatric Inpatient Services at Beaumont Royal Oak, and others.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to interact with organizations including:
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Royal Oak Senior Center
- Common Ground
- Beaumont Health System (including their BRIDGE program)
- Royal Oak Community Coalition
- Royal Oak Youth Assistance
- Oakland County Community Mental Health
- Inner Door Center
- South Oakland Shelter
- Oakland Family Services
- Catholic Social Services
- Recovery Consultants International
- Eastwood Clinic
University of Michigan Depression Center
If you go
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013
- Where: Royal Oak Middle School Auditorium, 709 N. Washington Ave.
- Doors Open: 6:00 p.m.
- Program: 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Source: Royal Oak Safe