Friday, April 26, 2013
Consumers Energy crews responded to the scene on Coolidge Highway, south of 13 Mile Road, on Friday morning.
3:30 p.m.: Gas is back on along Coolidge Road as of 3:30 p.m. A total of 29 customers were affected. Consumers Energy was able to perform relights of appliances in all but six of those homes, according to Consumers Energy representative Debra Dodd. 2:30 p.m.: "Gas is off and 32 homes will be without gas service until later this evening when repairs are complete," reports Consumers Energy representative Debra Dodd. "At that time Consumers Energy employees will go door-to-door to the 32 homes, relighting appliances and performing service checks as requested." 10:00 a.m.: Consumers Energy crews responded Friday morning to a gas main break on Coolidge, south of 13 Mile Road, in Royal Oak. The 2-inch gas main was damaged by a cement …
Saturday, December 3, 2011
Ferndale company was conducting a regular blow-off event, Royal Oak Fire Department said. No word from company on exactly what was in the air that alarmed hundreds of residents.
The Royal Oak Fire Department says there is no reason to worry about the strong smell that wafted from Polar Environmental Service Corp. in Ferndale through to the northern parts of Royal Oak on Friday night, prompting hundreds of concerned and puzzled local residents to report the problem. "We received a few calls of people thinking they had a gas leak," Royal Oak Fire Department Lt. Stacey Cruce said. "They (Polar) were conducting a blow-off event. It happens four times a year. ... There is no danger to residents." More than 400 calls were placed to Consumers Energy and more to local police departments Friday night from residents in Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods, Berkley and Royal Oak complaining of a strong odor in the air …
Friday, December 2, 2011
Consumers Energy received hundreds of calls reporting a natural gas odor Friday night.
Consumers Energy received more than 400 calls Friday night from people in Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge and Royal Oak complaining of an odor in the air similar to natural gas. Spokeswoman Debra Dodd said the utility company believed the odor was coming from Polar Environmental Service Corp. located at 707 W. Lewiston near Nine Mile Road and Woodward Avenue in Ferndale. According to the company’s website, Polar "offers complete disposal and recycling of non-hazardous waste oil and wastewater at its Ferndale facility." An answering service for Polar said the company began receiving calls at 7:45 p.m. and that plant managers met with representatives from Consumers Energy and corrected the problem at 8:45 p.m. The answering service did not have …
Saturday, September 17, 2011
No one hurt in early evening accident, police say.
Saturday: Manager Rob Twork said Benito's Pizza is back in business after a car struck the wall of the pizzeria Friday evening, breaking a gas line and making it necessary for Consumers Energy to shut off gas to the building. Benito's lost a night of business but was able to open today at 11 a.m. after repairs were made, Twork said. There were no injuries. Friday: A car hit the wall of Benito's Pizza on Rochester Road about 5 p.m. on Friday, breaking a gas line. No one was hurt in the accident, police at the scene said. Royal Oak police, fire, Department of Pubic Service and Consumers Energy were on the scene. Benito's was closed as Consumer's Energy workers were hand digging to find the gas shutoff valve. Come back to Patch for updates.