Thursday, December 27, 2012
The Michigan Attorney General announced charges filed against 43-year old Raulie Casteel of Wixom Dec. 21.
The 43-year-old Wixom man accused of shooting at cars along the I-96 corridor has entered a not guilty plea to additional terrorism charges in Livingston County's 53rd District Court in Howell, according to WDIV-TV, Channel 4. In addition to the terrorism charge, Raulie Casteel pleaded not guilty to charges of assault with intent to murder and felony firearm in Livingston County's 53rd District Court on Friday. The first two charges are punishable by up to life in prison, while the firearm charges range from punishments of 2 to 5 years in prison. The county-level charges previously filed in Livingston against Casteel were dismissed and replaced with charges filed by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette Dec. 21. The charges pertain only…
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Raulie Wayne Casteel had a preliminary examination in Novi on Wednesday morning and appeared in a Livingston County courtroom a few hours later.
Livingston County has delayed setting a pre-trial date in the case of Raulie Wayne Casteel, who is accused of several felonies in connection with shooting incidents along the I-96 corridor, until the completion of competency exams ordered by the 52-1 District Court in Novi on Wednesday morning. Based on events in the 52-1 District Court earlier Wednesday, Livingston County Prosecutor David Morse said his office will hold off on proceeding until the competency test is complete. The Wednesday morning pretrial for Raulie Wayne Casteel lasted just a few minutes, in which Judge Brian W. MacKenzie ordered a forensic review for Casteel's competency and criminal responsibility. MacKenzie said he had already spoken with the prosecutor and judge's …
Friday, November 9, 2012
Wixom resident Raulie Wayne Casteel, appearing via video link, was arraigned Friday on charges relating to Oct. 16 shootings in Wixom.
Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, of Wixom, was arraigned in 52-1 District Court in Novi on Friday afternoon on charges related to shooting incidents that happened in Oakland County. Casteel, who is jailed on a $2 million bond on weapons charges in connection with one of the I-96 shootings in Livingston County, appeared via video link wearing an orange jumpsuit. He was charged with 60 felony counts, including multiple counts of assault with intent to commit murder, in connection with the shootings that happened on Oct. 16 in Wixom. A total of 24 shootings took place between Oct. 16-27 that spanned four counties: Livingston, Oakland, Ingham and Shiawassee. Casteel was represented in court by Doug Mullkoff, a prominent Ann Arbor criminal defense …
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Wixom resident Raulie Wayne Casteel was arraigned on charges relating to one of 24 I-96 Corridor Shootings on Wednesday afternoon.
Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, of Wixom, was arraigned in 53rd District Court Wednesday afternoon on charges related to one of the three I-96 Corridor shooting incidents that happened in Livingston County. Casteel was charged with six counts in connection with the shooting that happened on Oct. 18 at 2:43 p.m. on westbound I-96, near mile marker 135 in Howell, The Detroit News reported. Casteel was charged with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon, a four-year felony; carrying a weapon with unlawful intent, a five-year felony; intentionally discharging a weapon from a motor vehicle, a four-year felony, and three counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, which carries a mandatory two-year term. A total of 24 …
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Wixom resident arrested, police say prosecutors reviewing case.
Tuesday, 2 p.m. A 43-year-old Wixom man was arrested Monday night in connection with the I-96 Corridor Shootings which have been reported in Livingston, Oakland, Ingham and Shiawassee counties. Police said the arrest was the result of information derived during the investigation over the past few days. Task force members arrested the man at his residence and potential evidence was been seized and will be evaluated by police crime laboratories, according to a press release. Police also said the man drives a vehicle matching the vehicle description provided by one of the victims. Additional information about the suspect of the investigation will not be released pending further investigation and review of the investigation by the four county …
Sunday, November 4, 2012
Potential witness was "cooperative and assisted with investigation," according to reports.
Police are no longer seeking information on the identity of a potential witness from the Mobil gas station in Brighton in connection with the I-96 shooter case, according to a press release from the Wixom Police Department. Wixom Police say the man whose photos they released Friday as a possible witness to a shooting along the I-96 corridor is not believed to be linked "in any way, shape or form" to the 24 reported shootings along the Interstate 96 corridor since October, according to the Detroit Free Press.. According to the report, the man depicted in the photos has cooperated with authorities and police now do not believe the man is connected with the shootings. Police say the multijurisdictional task force will be continuing their …
Friday, November 2, 2012
The images were taken at the Brighton Mobil Gas Station on Oct. 27.
Police investigators released photos on Friday afternoon of a potential witness connected with the 24 shootings along the I-96 corridor. The images of a man authorities would like to interview were taken at the Brighton Mobil Gas Station on Oct. 27. Police say the car shown may be a black 2008 to 2012 Chevrolet Mailibu. Of the 24 incidents between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27, three have occured in Livingston County, including the only time a driver was injured during a shooting. No arrests have been made in the investigation. The suspect is described as a white male in his late twenties or early thirties. One witness described him as “clean-shaven.” However, police said it is possible he may change his appearance. Police said they believe that …
Monday, October 29, 2012
People from all over have been talking about the I-96 shooter on social media after an incident Monday morning near I-96 and US 23.
After another possible highway shooting Monday morning near I-96 and US 23, people have been talking about the incident on social media. Many people have commented on Patch Facebook pages. Jen Decker posted, "I have to drive this route every day, they really need to find this psyco!" Michael Gross said, "Really this jerk need's to be stopped. Brighton schools are on lock down right now." "This is very scary have lots of family that travels this area everyday!" Sandy Faloon Neace posted. *Attached is a sample of several Tweets and Facebook postings regarding the I-96 shootings. Refresh your page if you cannot see.